I am very grateful for the numerous gluten and dairy free recipes, that friends share with me. This week I enjoyed baking Almond Cookies – a recipe given to me by my friend, Janine.
This almond cookie recipe is naturally gluten and dairy free which made it easy for me to bake (no experimenting with conversions).
What I particularly liked was that the recipe made 24 cookies (none of this bake all morning only to get 12 cookies).
Ohhh yeah did I mention that these cookies are ‘moreish’ – with a surprising gentle flavour kick.
(Gluten and dairy free)
150g icing sugar
1 free range egg beaten
225g almond flour
1 finely grated lime rind
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
* In a large mixing bowl, combine icing sugar & beaten egg. Beat until mixture is white.
* In another bowl, combine flour, lime rind, vanilla essence & cinnamon. Then gradually mix into the sugar & egg mixture.
* Knead dough in the bowl until pliable (about 5 minutes)
* Cover with a tea towl and leave for 15 minutes.
* On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to make a long thin sausage shape (about 4 cm thick).
* Cut into 24 segments.
* Roll each segment into a ball.
* Lightly oil the palms of your hands then flatten each ball.
* Place each flattened ball on a lightly oiled oven tray – giving each plenty of room to spread when baking.
* Bake for 15-20 mins or until golden brown.
* Cool biscuits on a cooling rack.