Our local Coles and Woolworths grocery stores, have both stopped stocking dairy free creamed cheese and dairy free cream.
Unwilling to start buying a dairy base alternative, I had to rethink many of my dairy free recipes.
I love a good roasted vegetable bake or a good vegetarian lasagne. In these two meal examples, I usually subsitute the cheese component for a commercial dairy free alternative but alas I now needed to get creative (as I can’t buy them Iocally anymore).
So I got thinking! What about turning the traditional basic white sauce into a dairy free option? What if I could make the basic white sauce even yummier?
Dairy & Gluten Free Garlic White Sauce
1 clove of garlic very finely chopped
Oil (I prefer rice bran oil)
80g of dairy free butter (I prefer Nuttelex)
4 tablespoons of sifted, gluten free plain flour
1 & 3/4 cups of rice milk
Salt to taste
* Add some of the oil in a fry pan.
* Fry garlic over a medium heat.
* Add dairy free butter and melt.
* Remove from heat and mix in flour with a large spoon.
* Add a little of the rice milk and mix well.
* Return to heat and gradually add remaining of the rice milk while stirring continuously.
* Boil for 3 minutes while stirring.
* Remove from heat and add salt to taste.
Pour over your roasted vegetables in an oven tray. Bake for 10 minutes at 200 degrees C until top is golden brown.
Pour over one of your lasagne layers instead of cheese.
I was pleasantly surprised that my dairy free, garlic, white sauce tasted better in these two meals, than when I used the commercial dairy free creamed cheese. Everyone in the family enjoyed both meals – the non dairy intolerant ones, the meat eaters and the toddler. Giddy up this dairy free alternative is a keeper (and lots cheaper).