The smell of hot cinnamon wafts from the kitchen and fills the cold Autumn air.
Yep it is still blowing a gale here. Everyone you speak to is rattled by the wind. Everyone has been staying indoors. This recipe was baked with my neighbours in mind (fingers crossed we will soon be outside enjoying a windless, sunny Autumn day soon).
This recipe is great for using stale bread (reducing food waste). However it is so easy and yummy, why wait till bread goes stale?
Bread and Butter Pudding (gluten and dairy free)
5 free range eggs
2 cups rice milk
5 tablespoons of coconut cream
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
10 slices of gluten free brea bread, crusts removed (stale or fresh)
Jam of your choice (I had kiwifruit jam on hand)
Handful of sultanas
* Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
* Grease a medium sized baking dish.
* Whisk eggs, rice milk, coconut cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl.
* Spread both sides of each bread slice with jam.
* Arrange half the bread in rows in prepared dish.
* Sprinkle with half the sultanas.
* Repeat with remaining bread and sultanas.
* Pour egg mixture over bread.
* Sprinkle cinnamon over the top.
* Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden and set.
* Serve with a spoonful of coconut cream (or two spoonfuls).
“ohhhhh” “yummm” was all I heard, then slience until everyone finished. I just love it when non gluten and dairy intolerant people enjoy my food too – not knowing it is gluten and dairy free. Giddy up, this was a winner!