I believe most people are concerned about rising power bills, the impact of coal seam gas and our current dependence on fossil fuels.
I also believe most people have a ‘head in sand’ strategy when dealing with these concerns – not because they don’t care but because they feel powerless to do anything about it.
If I have respectively described you, then the good news is that you are wrong about being powerless. There is a rapidly growing movement that is having a powerful impact globally.
Individuals, families and businesses are moving their money away from supporting the fossil fuel industry. The movement is ‘divestment’.
Allow me to explain by sharing what my family and I have done to divest.
* I have moved my Sarhn McArthur Photography business bank accounts to Bendigo Bank. Their policy is to not invest or support coal seam gas and the fossil fuel industry.
* We have chosen a sustainable energy supplier company – moved our home energy away from the big providers. We are now with Red Energy who own the Snowy Mountain scheme and hence all their energy is from sustainable sources (no fossil fuels). Red Energy where also cheaper than our previous big energy supplier.
* I have no superannuation being invested in the fossil fuel industry.
Australians to date, have divested 450 million dollars away from the fossil fuel industry.
The latest global, big business company to have reportedly divest from fossil fuels is the Guardian Media Group – the second $1US billion business divestment commitment.
“What was a trickle is becoming a river and will, I suspect, become a flood.” Alan Rusbridger – Guardian’s Editor-in-Chief
If you wish to join the divestment movement – to add your money to the river of funds leaving the support of the fossil fuel industry:
* Consider moving your savings away from any bank and superannuation scheme that supports fossil fuels.
* Buy your home energy from a supplier not supporting the fossil fuel industry.
* Let companies know why you will no longer be a customer.
Check out @Sarhn’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/Sarhn/status/507299343703875584