As mentioned in yesterday’s post, I have been cooking quinces. It turned out that my family weren’t keen on the taste of cooked quince by itself, so I got baking.
Cooked Quince and Blueberry Bread Cake
70g Nutterlex (dairy free butter)
1/3 cup brown sugar (I reduced the amount of sugar as the quinces was cooked in sugar)
1 egg beaten
4 cooked quinces
1 cup of blueberries
1 & 1/2 cups gluten free self raising flour
2 tablespoons of rice milk
* Preheat oven to 180 degrees
* Cream butter and sugar together
* Add beaten egg then slowly add the cooked quinces. Beat well with an electric mixer
* Add flour and rice milk. Stir well
* Pour into a prepared loaf tin (I prefer to use dairy free butter on the sides rather than baking paper – better for the environment)
* Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes (test by inserting a skewer in the centre to check it comes out clean)
* Allow to cool. Serve sliced with a dairy free spread (Nutterlex is what I love)
Hubbie, our Little One and I all enjoyed the bread cake (which surprised me as we didn’t enjoy the cooked quinces by themselves).
I really loved the taste of quince with blueberry (I threw the blueberries in as they needed to be eaten).
Have you discovered any other fruit or flavours that compliment quince?