I’ll be honest, I had no idea what to do with the huge bundle of freshly picked rhubarb my next door neighbour gave me.
I froze half (you can freeze rhubarb but when it’s defrosted it becomes more fibres). With the other half I started experimenting, attempting to come up with a good gluten and dairy free rhubarb muffin receipe.
With no further ado, here is my receipe (the winner of my experiments) for gluten and dairy free rhubarb muffins.
2 cups raw sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 3/4 cups gluten free plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup rice milk
1/2 cup whole almonds
* Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
* In a bowl beat raw sugar, oil, egg and vanilla together.
* In another bowl sift flour and then add salt and bicarb soda. Add to sugar mixture alternately with rice milk. Stir till everything is totally mixed.
* Using a food processor mix rhubarb and almonds only till they become a coarse texture. Add to mixture and stir well.
* Place muffin paper cups onto an oven tray (I like to make them double thickness).
* Pour mixture into each muffin cup.
* Bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Makes approximately 20 muffins.