For many years I have been baking gluten free cakes and more recently dairy free cakes too.
However, what if you don’t have eggs in your fridge or you are intolerant to eggs or are a vegan?
Can I make a gluten, dairy and egg free cake? Well on the 5th of January, I believe I succeeded.
When still warm, the cake tasted much like a hot cross bun (with some dairy free butter).
When cool, it tasted and had the consistency of a fruit loaf.
2 cups caster sugar
2 cups water
2 cups sultanas
2 tablespoons of Nutterlex (dairy free butter)
4 cups of gluten free plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
* Preheat oven to 150 degrees C
* Prepare 20cm cake tin (I spread Nutterlex dairy free butter all over the tin, then added a light coating of plain flour – reducing the need for baking paper).
* Add sugar, water, sultanas and Nutterlex to saucepan. Bring to simmer then allow to cool completely.
* Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a large mixing bowl.
* Add the cooled sultana mixture. Mix well.
* Pour batter into the prepared tin.
* Bake for 90 minutes.